Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tasks and To-Do Lists

After a lot of tinkering and switching over the years, here's where I'm at:

Clear
My main task/to-do manager is Clear. Clear is an iOS and OS X app. It's extremely simple, with no deadlines or dates, and no ranking system. The only way it manages priority is by order. That's it. If something needs to be done before something else, simply drag it higher on the list.

Clear is gesture based, with simple gestures on the touchscreen (or with the mouse) to complete tasks, delete tasks, or add tasks.

Clear also has lists, enabling you to further organize work into lists. I choose to keep my lists very simple. I have three lists: Personal, Quizzing, and Shopping.  Any task that doesn't fall into the latter two buckets automatically goes into the first.

Because Clear has an OS X app as well, I can type lengthy tasks into that interface. Everything is synced through iCloud. You don't have a Clear account with Clear usernames or passwords or anything like that. Ultra simple.

Pros of Clear: Very simple (clear!), gesture based.

Cons of Clear:
It doesn't support recurring tasks, so if you have recurring tasks like paying bills or buying groceries, you have to enter them anew each time.

You can't import data into Clear. So let's say you have a long grocery list someone emailed you for a party, or a long packing list you composed on the computer; there's no easy way to get that data into Clear. You have to enter it manually.  Clear does support copy/paste, which can make things a tiny bit easier.

OneTask
I also use OneTask. OneTask is an OS X app. It's power lies in only displaying a single task (which should be your highest priority task). Often times we mistake activity for productivity.  OneTask helps you focus on a single tasks and follow it through until completion. Once you hit complete, the next task is displayed.  You have the ability to "snooze" tasks for a specified time interval.

Pros of OneTask: Helps you stay focused on a single task.

Cons of OneTask: There is no accompanying iOS app.

Other Programs
Beyond those two programs, I use many other programs for note taking, document creation and storage, etc.  I use Google Drive, Google Docs, Evernote for iOS, OS X and Chrome web app, Notes app on iOS, Tasks in Gmail and Reminders in iOS.  However, I've been increasingly limiting my usage of these sources for task management and prioritization.

I've completely discontinued using the Notes app in iOS and Reminders in iOS. I also dabbled with Wunderlist (mainly because it has apps for every platform), but I never really got going with it.

I store any notes in Evernote.  Evernote has powerful search functions, which allow me to find the data I'm looking for.  In the past I've stored recipes and other data to save in emails I've received. I've been getting rid of these emails and transferring the information to Evernote.

If any data falls into the Notes or Tasks category, I make sure I'm not storing it in Google Drive.

Summary:
I use Clear for 95% of my task work.  For the times when I need to be extra focused, I'll use OneTask.

No comments:

Post a Comment