Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Here's Looking At You Volvo


When I got my drivers license back in high school, my dad bought a 1986 Volvo 240 sedan for me to drive, but not to own. It was a wonderful first car, metallic blue, built like a German tractor, and full of character. When the car was bought it was nearing 20 years old and had over 100,000 miles. Yet, true to the Volvo name it ran like a well-oiled tank, purring along with such vigor that heads turned.

After my initial year at Hope College in Holland, Michigan I wanted to have a car at college. The ladies were clamoring for my company and the Max bus in Holland didn't cut it. My parents gifted me the Volvo and I prepared to drive from Seattle to Holland. My good friend Nate offered to fly out from Ohio, get his first taste of the Pacific Northwest, and accompany on the drive back to Michigan. Despite many doubting Nate would actually follow through (for the record, I never doubted), Nate showed up at SeaTac airport in mid August of 2006 (2007?). I showed him the wonders of Seattle, including the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Red Mill Burgers, the original Starbucks, and Gorditos, the mouth-watering Mexican food spot in Greenwood.

We planned for our trip by googling the random and planned to stop and see the giant Paul Bunyan and Blue, the 20-foot tall Groundhog, and other similarly inane sights.

As we set out for our trip we spied some free junk by the side of the road. Or at least it appeared as junk at first glance. Among the castaways was a green plastic garden gnome. He promptly went into the back window of the Volvo and was named Gordito. Gordito has ridden in my Volvo ever since.

Nate and I had a fantastic road trip, never eating at a chain (our pact), visiting Mount Rushmore (breathtaking), and driving through the barren heartland of America, often shirtless and sporting bandanas like the college kids we were.

Since then the Volvo has taken three trips across the country. My little brother Matt rode along one trip (he got the Volvo to 100 MPH in Wyoming while I was asleep). My dad joined me for the other two trips.

I've always loved road trips and those were some of the best.

The Volvo provided many "fun" experiences in Michigan, due to its rear wheel drive, low power and non-snow tires. I spun out twice, once on a lonely night with my brother in the car. The other time was much more memorable, as I was driving three other Baker Scholars to the airport on our way to San Francisco. After spinning out on M-31 in Michigan, we found ourselves in the snowy median, pointed towards oncoming traffic. Jon, Travis and I got out and pushed the car, while Melyn drove and got it facing the right direction. From there we waited for a gap in traffic, and slowly made out way to the airport, to the delight of the rest of our trip mates. Upon returning home the Volvo was frozen into its parking spot (but we got out that too).

Lovingly nicknamed "the juggernaut" by me, the Volvo took no prisoners on the road, twice being rear-ended with little to no damage to the Volvo, but much damage to the other cars. It lived up to its billing as a sturdy and safe car. Also due to its girth and weight, the Volvo had a hard time getting going, but once going, momentum made it beastly. I loved powering around Lower Wacker, imagining I was an extra in the Dark Knight.

Even though it's such an old car, the Volvo had many amenities that belied its age. It had heated front seats, cruise control, power windows and locks and a sunroof. Not all of that worked, and less worked over time, but cranking the sunroof open was always an enjoyed novelty in the summer.

The car required a decent amount of upkeep on ancillary issues, but never needed significant repair. It was mostly reliable and likely saved me from injury in those two accidents.

So why am I waxing poetic about my beloved Volvo? As of this week I have a new car, a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The Volvo is being donated to a local charity. It's been a good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment